Brendon Burchard’s new book, The Millionaire Messenger, is #1 on both the New York Times‘ and USA Today‘s paperback advice/how-to bestseller lists. How did he do it? Well, I got an email from Brendon this week and he broke it down into eight steps:
- Write a great book with a core message that helps people.
- Put up a great webpage that explains the book and tells people why to get it now.
- Get a bunch of copies out into the marketplace early on to start the buzz.
- Excite affiliates to promote the book website to their lists of subscribers.
- Drive people from the site to Amazon and Barnes and Noble to buy the book.
- Keep up the momentum by delivering more value to those who bought the book through bonuses and videos.
- Ask readers to post honest reviews of the book on their blogs and social media sites.
- Keep communicating with affiliates personally to get them to continue promoting the book.
You’ll notice that some of the “tried and true” traditional tactics are missing from that list — Brendon hit #1 without one single interview on television or radio. Instead, what Brendon really leaned on was the power of affiliate and online marketing.
(NOTE: If you’re new to the affiliate marketing arena — or if you’d just like to learn how to get more traffic to your website — Brendon credits Jeff Johnson’s training resources as being very helpful to him, and you can get some great free stuff from Jeff right now… like his latest video on how to get targeted traffic from YouTube [my affiliate link].)
Now you know the “secret” of what it takes to create a #1 bestseller. It just comes down to being intentional about everything you do from day one — starting as soon as you sit down to map out the message you want to share in your book.
Bestsellers don’t just happen. It takes hard work. But when you’ve got a great message to share — one that can help people — you have a responsibility (in my opinion) get that message to as many people as you can, in as many ways as possible.
Do you have a bestseller in you? Tell us about it… start the buzz right here! 🙂